Information for Current Research Higher Degree Students
Facilities and opportunities
The department is well known to provide excellent facilities and opportunities for its Research Higher Degree students. These include
- A computer for each Research Higher Degree student (MPhil and PhD) for their sole use during candidature and, in particular, a new computer for each PhD student for their sole use during candidate that they have the option to purchase at the successful end of their degree.
See the department Desktop policy and Policy on computer write-offs for more details.
- The department licences a comprehensive list of software for use by staff and Research Higher Degree students
- Further Information on IT matters can be found at the Department's IT info website
- The opportunity to travel to conferences to give talks and presentations, and to collaborate with national and international academics is strongly encouraged by the department.
There is a Research Support Scheme set up by the department to assist in funding. Students need to discuss funding with their supervisor first. Various university schemes exist such as MATS and others.
The policy on the department's scheme is recommended reading before applying.
The application form in Word and PDF format are hereby linked!
- Maurice Belz Trust - how to apply (Word application form)
- Sites with conference information can be found at the bottom of the STAMP links page
- The postgraduate association is run by Research Higher Degree students for Research Higher Degree students: Statistics and Mathematics Postgraduate Department Group (STAMP)
- Department policy about Research Higher Degree student access to facilities if lapsed candidature or submitted final thesis.